Saturday 1 July 2017

Social Media & Ethics

As I consider some relevant ethical situations linked to digital online media and especially social media, a few dilemma's spring to my mind
  • Do you have a Facebook account for your class? 
  • Do you have to friend the parents/families of your students for them to be in group?
  • Do you accept a student as a member of a classroom Facebook group?
Regardless of the digital media that you do decide to use,  one issue that is often highlighted to me is that of "Netiquette".  Dictionary.com defines 'Netiquette' as the "rules of etiquette that apply when communicating over computer networks, especially the Internet". When we are building relationships with a diverse range of students and families who have their own personal attitudes, values it can be difficult to decide what is good netiquette. Recently Seven Sharp reported in "So what is normal behaviour online?" a range of responses to what is acceptable behaviour online. 





What do you think of the range of responses? Can you see a pattern?

To me there definitely seems to be some blurred lines about what to post online. So in my opinion we need to be aware of this dilemma, and work towards some common goals for online posts.

The Code of ethics states for teachers & learner to :

Carefully consider the tone and content of your posts or messages when using social media as a teaching tool – think about how it compares to how you present yourself in the physical learning environment

With this is mind I have started to work with students in my class to help them to pratise writing posts using Todays.meet. I will prompt a question and allow the student to reply in a respectful manner. In addition I have created a simple tool to assist students to write blog comments. At the same time, modelling correct online behaviour is one of the most powerful tools we have as teachers (Connecticut’s Teacher Education and Mentoring Program, 2012).

I look forward to hearing from you about ways your school is preparing students to be respectful and show etiquette online?




References

Education Council of Aoteroa New Zealand 2017. (2017) Commitment to Society. Retrieved from http://teachersandsocialmedia.co.nz/guidelines/commitment-society

Connecticut’s Teacher Education and Mentoring Program. (2012). Ethical and Professional Dilemmas for Educators: Facilitator’s Guide. Retrieved fromhttp://www.ctteam.org/df/resources/Module5_Manual....



6 comments:

  1. I watched the Seven Sharp documentary. It was very interesting and certainly highlighted some issues. I totally agree with you about being blurred lines as to what to post on-line. We certainly do all need to start working towards a common goal. I teach Year 1 students and judging by my 6 year old it is definitely not too young to start. I really like your idea about getting the students to practice writing posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zoey,
    Thanks for your post. I enjoyed watching this clip and was particularly struck by the phrase of the male presenter when he talked about 'mums, aunties, grandmas' who were 'offending'. His use of the word suggests that an invisible code has been broken. But surely, for centuries past, those mums, aunties and grandmas have been the wool that knits our social fabric together. Their network of swapping stories and sharing information formed the foundations of what our society is today built on, and that very society is now changing the rules because of the advent of the internet. Surely the same rules apply as when we used to print our photographs. You share photos with your friends to share the joy of the moment and create conversation. Suddenly, it seems the etiquette on which we were raised is no longer the etiquette that applies. As such, is there a rule book? A place where invisible societal rules exist? And how is that monitored, updated or changed? I can't help but think that social media is being blamed as the thing that changes these things, however, perhaps the enemy is the greater degree of openness and connection that social media creates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think that there are some really blurry lines around using social media. I think twice about what i post on my own face book page - not just content but the language it contains (shared posts) as i am always conscious of who may read it. I am also very careful about who i 'friend'.
    I thought about creating a face book page for my class as we now have one for school but decided against it. I have set up a 'yammer' page instead where the students and i can post messages, questions and information.
    As i am a teacher of students with special needs i am also aware that technology will be the main form of communication for most of the students. To this end we have completed readings, comprehension activities and class discussions around using social media and the benefits and disadvantages of using it. My fear for my students is that if they don't understand the risks they
    are some of the most vulnerable people using it.
    We have set up a blog and regularly visit what we are wanting to achieve and the 'rules' around posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Zoey. I have wondered about the use of Facebook pages for classes, especially primary age students. Is it not a breach of the terms of use of Facebook with members being under the age limit of 13? I had this discussion with an intermediate teacher at our school who has a page for his class. When I queried the age issue his response was that he was doing the actual posts (the students wrote them) so it was ok.... hmmm not sure about the ethics of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the video clip. It seems people have a lot of different ideas on what is acceptable. I think that when it is someone else's "event" then you need to repect that and let them post it how they like. Or seek permission before posting improtant photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zoey - nice post. I think we all struggle with the implications of being active on social media as well as being a teacher. I remember when I was at university and facebook was just coming out. They got us all into the lecture hall and put up a series of images and status updates from the cohort of future teachers. Pictures of them smoking and drinking, statuses about leaving their literature review until the night before it was due - you can just imagine what goodies they found on a group of naive students pages! That shocked me into the realisation of the impact of my actions on those around me. Students are forever telling me that they looked me up on social media (I have strict privacy settings that protect what I post but I am still careful).

    I think what you said about modelling appropriate behaviours is key. We need to show students what is acceptable and what is not and hold high expectations as well as educating students on what risks are associated with communicating online. Whilst the opportunities that technology provides us with are wonderful, the risks are real and we can't expect our learners to navigate this space safely without being shown how.

    ReplyDelete